Just 30 minutes of walking a day can increase your heart health, improve your breathing, reduce stress, strengthen bones, reduce fat, boost muscle strength and endurance. That’s all, just 30 minutes... which leaves you with 23 and a half hours each day to do all that other stuff like sleeping, working, playing, eating, etc... 30 minutes really isn’t too much to ask, now is it?
Walking is such a great way to be active and has so many health benefits. That’s right, this free fitness program can be done anywhere, anytime!
Did you know: walking regularly reduces your risk of developing Heart Disease, Type 2 Diabetes, Osteoporosis and some Cancers.
Walking is a great activity for the whole family, it is low impact, easy to do, requires minimal equipment and is very low risk. If you want to learn more about the benefits - Here’s a link where you can find over 100,000 articles and studies that demonstrate the health benefits of walking.
I know this isn’t the first time that you have been encouraged to walk a little more so in case you are busy making excuses... here’s a few arguments I’ve prepared earlier:
“I don’t have the time” - All you need is 30 minutes each day...
“But I get pain when walking” - All the more reason to walk. Regular walking can reduce pain... Book in with one of our physiotherapists to get a personalised plan and to discuss your health concerns.
“I don’t feel safe walking around the streets” - perhaps you could walk with a friend, a dog or join a local walking group. Walk in well-lit and highly frequented areas.
“The weather is too cold/hot/wet/dry” - There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing... dress appropriately, or walk early or late in the day to avoid hot weather.
“I am not sure I will be fit enough” - start off small and increase the distance gradually, as you are ready. If you are unsure, you should consult your medical practitioner to make sure you are ready for exercise.
“I would need to get a new pair of wiz bang runners” - To start off, just find something comfortable to walk in – it doesn’t have to be the latest and greatest!
Here are our TOP WALKING TIPS to get you started:
- Treat your dog (or your neighbour’s dog) to a daily walk.
- Make walking part of your routine –use it as active transport to get to work, school or the shops.
- Skip the elevator – take the stairs instead.
- Fit a walk in anytime – even if it is just a few laps around the back-yard or the lounge – get upright and move your body regularly. It all adds up!
- Walking attire – Dress comfortably and to suit the weather.
- Wear a pedometer – these inexpensive tools are great to keep track of your daily step count. 10,000 steps is recommended as a daily minimum but start where you are comfortable and aim to improve each day.
- Explore your local area – Get to know your local walking tracks and explore the natural environment in your area.
- Walk with friends or family, or join a group. You can socialise while you exercise!
- Book a walking holiday – explore somewhere new and meet new people.
- Set a timer – If you have your set track then start to time yourself. Picking up patterns of improvement will continue to motivate you.
- Bonus tip: Drink lots of water – and stay hydrated.
Armed with this knowledge, we hope you are ready to get out there and walk until your heart is content (literally!)
If you need a walking plan or want to learn more about what walking can do for you, then please click this link and book an appointment with one of our friendly physiotherapists.
And if you have any other questions, let us know in the comments section below and we will be sure to answer promptly.